The Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education helps shape Australia’s future economy through skills, learning, discovery and innovation.
Together with the wider portfolio, we are working to accelerate productivity growth and secure Australia’s prosperity in a competitive low carbon global economy.
Collaboration, education and a strong science and research base are keys to success. We engage with business, research bodies, tertiary education sectors, government and the broader community to create and build economic and social benefits. Our focus is on promoting innovation across the economy and shaping the businesses, industries and workforce to turn these opportunities into outcomes.
On this page:
Our portfolio comprises the Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education along with 14 portfolio/prescribed agencies.
The portfolio is accountable to the Australian Parliament through six ministers and two parliamentary secretaries.
Our ministers by portfolio responsibility
- Strategic Plan 2011-2014 – an overview of the department’s priorities for the next three years.
- Organisation structure
- Divisions – there are 17 divisions in the department.
- Secretary – Dr Don Russell was appointed to Secretary of the department on 20 June 2011.
- Outcome and Program Overview Map 2013-14 [PDF 95Kb] – an overview of the agency's four outcome statements and the program components falling under them.
- Service charter – the department’s vision, mission, and service standards.
- Departmental websites – many of the department's programs and initiatives have their own websites.
- Contact us
Our department is progressive, people-focused, and committed to the development, health and wellbeing of its employees. We provide a challenging and flexible working environment.
Our annual reports, plans, evaluation reports, portfolio reviews and publications, and research working papers are available in corporate publications.
- Departmental media releases
- Ministerial media releases, speeches and transcripts are available on the Ministers' website. Media releases, speeches and transcripts from our previous Ministers are provided in the website archive.
- Social media - we use social media to share the latest information on our programs and services, and to enable two-way conversations and feedback.
- Media contacts - the department's media team can be contacted by journalists with media enquiries regarding activities and programs overseen by the department or within the portfolio.
Legal and legislative reporting
Information on how to report fraud.