Australian universities are autonomous institutions established by or under Commonwealth, State or Territory legislation. Universities are responsible for maintaining the quality of their own academic standards and they do this in a number of ways including regular formal self-assessment, external academic, industry and peer course reviews and evaluation of student feedback.

The Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) is Australia’s regulatory and quality agency for higher education. TEQSA’s primary aim is to ensure that students receive a high quality education at any Australian higher education provider.

From 30 January 2012, TEQSA will maintain a list of approved higher education providers on a provider register. TEQSA’s provider register will also include information on whether higher education institutions are self-accrediting or non self-accrediting and the courses which each provider is accredited to deliver.

Prior to 30 January 2012 all universities and other institutions approved to offer higher education awards will continue to be listed on the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) register. The AQF register will also continue to include information on the courses each institution is accredited to deliver.

The My University website provides more information about Australian universities. The Study in Australia website provides information about studying in Australia. 

Universities Australia

Universities Australia (UA) is a consultative and advisory body representing Australia’s university sector both nationally and internationally. Universities voluntarily comply with good practice guidelines set by UA to support the sector in providing quality university experiences.

Non-university providers of higher education

While the public higher education sector accounts for around 95% of students in Australia, nationally there are over 150 private providers of higher education, and the sector is growing. Private colleges and institutes must apply to the relevant Minister for Education for permission to offer higher education awards (that is, bachelor and above).Private providers must also have their courses accredited by the appropriate Commonwealth, State or Territory Government.

Share this Page