The Australian marine industry is a significant industry in its own right, as well as a major service provider to other industries and a major contributor to the economy through both manufactured products and services.
The industry is represented in all Australian States and Territories, and is particularly important to the economic sustainability and growth of many regions. The industry has demonstrated a strong capacity to successfully operate in both domestic and international markets.
The Australian marine industry includes ship and boat building and repair, marine equipment manufacturing, and marina operations. The industry is a major contributor to the economy, with a GVP of $8 billion a year and direct employment of around 22,000 people. Australia’s marine industry export sector is innovative and covers a broad range of products and services. Australia is a world leader in the design of large, high-speed, multi-hull aluminium vessels. Exports in 2009-10 were $422 million, and additionally, international marine tourism and recreational activities were worth $1.8 billion.
The department closely engages with industry to address impediments to growth and pursue development opportunities. The department also works with the industry and research communities to help build a more innovative and globally successful marine industry.
Marine Industry Working Group
The Marine Industry Working Group was established by industry and the Commonwealth Government in August 2008 to:
- facilitate collaboration across the various marine industry sectors;
- provide a forum to cooperatively address issues of concern; and
- share information and build networks, and provide a collective voice to Government.
The diverse nature of the marine industry is reflected in the membership of the Working Group:
- Australian International Marine Export Group (AIMEX)
- Superyacht Australia
- Boating Industries Alliance Australia (BIAA)
- Australian Ship Repairers Group (ASRG)
- Marina Industries Association (MIA)
- State Governments
- Department of Innovation, Industry, Science, Research and Tertiary Education (DIISRTE)
The department chairs the working group and provide the secretariat.
Defence, Aerospace & Marine Industries
Telephone: +61 2 6276 1545
Industry association web sites: