Research Training Scheme (RTS)
There is no application process for the Research Training Scheme. It is up to the individual university to determine which students will receive support and the processes by which this support is managed. Students and researchers need to approach the university research office for advice on support options available. Frequently asked questions have been provided to assist with your enquiry.
The RTS provides block grants, on a calendar year basis, to eligible Australian higher education providers (HEP) to support research training for students undertaking Research Doctorate and Research Masters degrees.
The objectives of the RTS are to:
- Enhance the quality of research training provision in Australia
- Improve the responsiveness of HEPs to the needs of their research students
- Encourage HEPs to develop their own research training profiles
- Ensure the relevance of research degree programs to labour market requirements
- Improve the efficiency and effectiveness of research training.
The RTS guidelines applying to the RTS are contained within the Other Grants Guidelines (Research) 2012 which can be downloaded from the Australian Government Federal Register of Legislative Instruments at:
The RTS grant amounts for 2013 have been provided to HEPs on the basis of the conditions outlined in the following document
Process for determining RTS grant amounts
For more information, please email: RBGrants@innovation.gov.au with "RTS" as the subject line.