The RTS provides block grants, on a calendar year basis, to eligible Australian higher education providers (HEP) to support research training for students undertaking Research Doctorate and Research Masters degrees.
The objectives of the RTS are to:
- Enhance the quality of research training provision in Australia
- Improve the responsiveness of HEPs to the needs of their research students
- Encourage HEPs to develop their own research training profiles
- Ensure the relevance of research degree programs to labour market requirements
- Improve the efficiency and effectiveness of research training.
Important note: Payments are made to HEPs who administer research block grant schemes on behalf of the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education. Individual students and researchers need to approach their HEP to obtain funding support.
The RTS guidelines applying to the RTS are contained within the Other Grants Guidelines (Research) 2012 which can be downloaded from the Australian Government Federal Register of Legislative Instruments at:
The RTS grant amounts for 2013 have been provided to HEPs on the basis of the conditions outlined in the following document
- 2013 RTS Conditions of Grant (including student eligibility criteria) [PDF 63KB] [DOC 235KB]
Process for determining RTS grant amounts
For more information, please email: RBGrants@innovation.gov.au with "RTS" as the subject line.